Saturday, September 6, 2008

Art is such a gift.

Thank god for art. Without it, how would I give value to all the really important things I do?
I have been called a post studio artist. It isn't that I don't like to make things, but it is pretty easy to avoid it in honor of really courageous ideas that take up less space in storage. I have been talking and thinking a lot of art for the past few years, but have spent a fairly small amount of time in a studio making stuff, though I knew I really wanted to. I guess I never felt the excuse to. That is, until now.
In late May I received a challenge from a friend and art patron- we will call her Chrissy. She wanted to commission a painting by me (!?) for her boyfriend, who we will call Adam. It is now September 6, and I have just officially begun the painting process.
Chrissy had very simple requirements. She wanted a still life. The order went like this: a pineapple, apples, grapes, pears, and a lobster. Low, dramatic light. Realistic rendering. High renaissance in style.
I hope I can do it. I love to please. I love to make a deal. I need the cash. I needed an adventure.
This blog will chronicle the progression from verbal contract into art on the wall.
I dedicate the process documented on this blog to Adam, who shall be forced to receive this painting and to live with it until he chooses to relieve himself of it. May more than guilt hold the painting up on his walls.
Cheers!

No comments: