Saturday, September 6, 2008

Day one of painting.


I don't have a palette set-up so every step is kinda nuts. I just ended up dumping out the silverware. It can live elsewhere.

And so here is the canvas. Primed linen bought in LA on sale. It is really nice and it makes a great sound when it is painted on. It is pulled so tight it is more like painting on heaven than fabric.
It took a while to put a brush in the paint. Scary.
This is the inaugural project of my new studio in my new house. This is where it will be born.

First I thought I would just lay down the background. Not because I want to be logical, but because I needed to start and I always found that painting fabric was pretty easy and instantly gratifying. The only problem is that I don't have any of my old tools. I gave them to an old roommate that wanted to be a painter because obviously I was never going to need them again. Now I realize I need a fan brush that is extra soft so that I can blend like a cuisinart on 2d mode.

I finished the top without much trouble, though I am sure I will have to go back into it once there are objects all up in it. The bottom white fabric was much more difficult. I think it looks like a shell instead of fabric. It is really easy for me to get all georgia o'keefe on this. Trying to keep it real renaissance.
Today I had one of the first actual experiences trying to figure out how to go back or remove this layer. No control Z on this bitch? Otherwise it's not so different from photoshop. It's just like a really really old version.

No comments: